HIV / AIDS:
More than 5,000 new HIV infections occur in Africa every day
1.5 million Africans (adults and children) die of HIV/AIDS every year.
Other Development Issues:
Malaria kills more African children under 5 years than any other disease
More than 300 million Africans do not have access to clean water.
An estimated 315 million Africans (in 2001) live on less than $1 per day
Africa has six Nobel peace laureates:
- Wangari Muta Maathai - Kenya (2004)
- Kofi Annan - Ghana (2001)
- Nelson Mandela & Frederik Willem de Klerk – South Africa (1993)
- Desmond Tutu – South Africa (1984)
- Albert Lutuli – South Africa (1960)
and three Nobel literature laureates:
- Nadine Gordimer –South Africa (1991)
- Wole Soyinka - Nigeria (1986)
- John Coetzee – South Africa (2003).
Sport and Lifestyle:
Nigeria went through to the semi finals of the 2008 Olympics soccer competition taking home the silver medal
Kenyan athletes won 5 gold medals at the 2008 Olympics.
5 (Angola, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Togo and Tunisia) national soccer teams competed in the 2006 FIFA Soccer World Cup
The 2010 FIFA Soccer World Cup is expected to have a world-wide TV audience in excess of 26 billion
Egypt won the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations
FIFA Confederation Cup 2009 will take place in South Africa 14 – 28 June